Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Shooting Up: Nerd Style

Yesterday I became a woman! At the very least, I became a very fertile woman. After dutifully showing up to my 8 AM pap, ultrasound, and blood work appointment, I was finally given the green light to start my follicle recruitment! Doesn't that sound patriotic? We recruit.........your eggs. Anyway, after the ultrasound revealed that my big ugly cyst was finally gone, I was taken aside where I was taught how to inject all the drugs into my tender belly. 

First up, there's Follistim. I had to wait for a phone call to confirm my hormone levels in the blood samples were normal. Once that happened, I was told to inject my first shot that very evening! This drug is supposed to recruit extra follicles in hopes of recruiting extra eggs. It comes in a hilarious little pen device, complete with clip......in case you need to clip it to your shirt pocket?

Pretty snazzy, huh? Makes me wish they had something this convenient for my bf's meds. His testosterone not only lacks the helpful clip cap and pen delivery system, the needle is fucking enormous compared to this.  Once I plop in the vial of Follistim, it can just hang out in the pen until it's done. I only need to replace the super tiny needle. I barely felt it go in to my belly at all. I looked into the side affects of this drug and they seem a lot more reasonable than your typical acne or depression meds. The most serious one is big-ass ovaries. Duh? That's pretty much the whole point of the drug. I was told not to exercise after this Thursday to avoid jostling around my mega-big ovaries. Sexy. Not that I've been doing much exercising lately, but this still seems like an awesome excuse to lay around and be extra lazy. Tonight is my second injection and tomorrow morning I go to another appointment to see if my hormones are still ok. Then I'll start another drug that suppressed ovulation while my follicles ripen and then another that triggers ovulation the night before my egg harvest.

I've been looking around for other blogs and info about the egg donation process and found this pretty awesome one that has day to day updates:
http://eggdonor.blogspot.com/

Sadly, I feel like all the blogs I've come across leave out the juicy details, such as, hormone induced mood swings, and sex. All I want to know is about the sex but nobody is giving me anything good. This other great blog just seems to encourage no sex ever!  http://askaneggdonor.com/when-you-say-no-sex-after-retrieval-what-do-you-mean/  But my boyfriend is not ever going to get me pregnant as he lacks sperm and all that so.......what about me? Lucky for you dear nonexistent readers, I don't kiss and tell but certainly, fuck and blog. It's for science.

No comments:

Post a Comment